Government Shutdown Assistance in Georgia
With over 16,000 federal workers furloughed or working without pay in Georgia, the government shutdown is a financially dire situation for federal workers. Luckily, some businesses are stepping up and offering help to those affected by the shutdown. The government shutdown assistance in Georgia ranges from flexible bill payment options to free hot meals. There are several assistance options available to furloughed federal workers.
Below, we’ve compiled a list of all the companies offering help to those people that have been affected by the government shutdown in Georgia. The list includes food banks and pantries, utility companies, banks, phone service providers, restaurants, entertainment, and more. We will be updating this list as more assistance and relief options become available.
Government Shutdown Assistance
Below is a list of companies offering assistance to furloughed federal workers in Georgia. We’ve broken the list into two categories: Nationwide assistance and Georgia-specific assistance.
Government Shutdown Assistance Nationwide (List)
Here is a list of nationwide companies that are offering assistance to any eligible federal worker affected by the government shutdown.
Phone Service Providers
- AT&T customers affected by the shutdown can sign up for flexible payment options to keep their phone service up and running. To find out more information about the flexible payment options for federal employees, check out the AT&T website here.
- T-Mobile is offering support to government account customers through their payment deferral and flexible payment options. To learn more about the options available to you, call 877-746-0909 or visit this page.
- Sprint is allowing customers affected by the shutdown to sign up for a payment option that will keep their service uninterrupted. Impacted customers should call 888-211-4727.
- Verizon is allowing federal employees to sign up for the “Promise to Pay” program that will allow you to set up a payment for a future date. Learn more about the program here.
- Chase Bank will waive or refund any overdraft or monthly service fees for customers that are affected by the government shutdown. To learn more about how Chase is helping federal workers, go to the Chase website or call 1-888-356-0023.
- Bank of America is offering assistance to furloughed federal employees. Please call priority assistance at 844-219-0690.
- Discover cardmembers affected by the shutdown may be eligible to skip a payment with no late fee or interest penalties. To request this option, please call Discover at 800-347-3085.
- U.S. Bank will waive all late fees if you miss a mortgage payment due to the shutdown. For new mortgages, they will also defer first payment dates.
- FedChoice is offering a variety of different options to those affected by the shutdown including waiving penalties, skipped payments, offer extensions, refinance auto loan options, and more. To learn more, visit their website here.
- Congressional Federal Credit Union is also offering a variety of different options to federal workers. They are offering a relief line of credit, credit limit increases, payment deferment, and more. Visit their website for more information.
- Synchrony Bank is offering deferred payments until after the shutdown for all their major brand credit cards (Amazon, Lowe’s, JCPenney, etc.). Contact the customer service phone number on the back of your card for more information.
- Wells Fargo is offering a number of different options including fee reversals and waivers to impacted federal employees. To learn how they can help, visit their website.
Loans & Cash Advance
- U.S. Employees Credit Union is offering an interest-free Government Shutdown Loan to those eligible union members that are signed up for direct deposit.
- Navy Federal is offerings eligible government shutdown assistance to Active Duty Coast Guard members and federal government employees. Loans have a 0% APR and are available up to a maximum loan amount of $6,000. To learn more go to their website at https://www.navyfederal.org/about/government-shutdown.php.
- U.S. Bank created a new, low-rate quick loan for federal employees affected by the shutdown. If you’re interested, call the federal government shutdown line at 877-760-6046.
- Interior Federal Credit Union is offering a special loan for both member and non-member furloughed workers. Ther are offering a net paycheck up to $15,000, interest-free for up to 30 days. To learn more call 800-914-8619.
- Congressional Federal Credit Union is offering a variety of different options to affected federal workers including a relief line of credit and personal loans. Visit their website for more information.
- PayPal is offering a $500 interest-free cash advance to existing and new customers impacted by the federal government shutdown. The advance is intended to help those workers that are struggling to make ends meet as they go without pay. To learn more about the cash advance and how to apply, check out the PayPal cash advance page here.
- Better Mortgage is offering a mortgage refinance program called Shutdown Relief Emergency Refi that allows federal employees to tap into their home equity for living expenses and delay loan payments. To learn more go to the www.better.com/shutdownrelief webpage.
Assistance for Coast Guard Personnel
- The Coast Guard Mutual Assistance (CGMA) is offering the maximum borrow amount to any personnel affected by the shutdown. They are offering up to $1,500 to personnel with dependents and up to $1,000 to personnel without dependents. For more information about federal funding, check out the CGMA page here.
- Navy Federal is helping eligible Active Duty Coast Guard members affected by the government shutdown. They are offerings loans at a 0% APR with a maximum loan amount up to $6,000. To learn more go to their website at https://www.navyfederal.org/about/government-shutdown.php.
- Feeding America is offering assistance to federal employees affected by the government shutdown at any of their network of 200 food banks and 60,000 partner pantries. Visit the Feeding America website for more information and to find a food bank local to you.
- Jameson Animal Rescue Ranch is offering free food for dogs, cats, fish, and horses to furloughed government employees. To apply, contact the information center at 707-927-3536 or email them at [email protected].
Government Shutdown Assistance in Georgia (List)
Here is a list of companies and local organizations in Georgia that are offering assistance to any eligible federal worker affected by the government shutdown.
- Atlanta Community Food Bank is giving out fresh produce, meat, and other food items available to government employees affected by the shutdown. Find out more information here.
- Golden Harvest Food Bank is assisting those impacted by the shutdown with fresh food products. For Augusta, call (706) 736-1199. For Aiken, call (803) 642-2912.
- The Food Bank of Northeast Georgia is helping furloughed employees that face nutritional crisis situations. Please visit their website for more information.
- Middle Georgia Community Food Bank is offering food assistance to all furloughed workers affected by the government shutdown.
- Hosea Helps is a nonprofit organization that is offering free groceries, clothing, rent, and other assistance to affected federal employees.
Food Pantries by County
- Hearts to Nourish Hope – Regular Pantry Hours: Tuesdays & Thursdays 9:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m., Fridays 9:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m & Mobile Food Pantry Hours: Friday, 1/25/2019 at 9:00 a.m.
- Morrow Presbyterian Church – Thursdays 3:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.
- SVDP St. Philip Benizi Catholic Church – Fridays 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
- New Day Church of the Nazarene, Inc. – Saturdays 12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m.
- Sweetwater Mission Inc. – Monday – Saturday 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
- Turner Hill Community Develop.m.ent. – Wednesdays & Saturdays 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.
- Cobb Vineyard /Vineyard Christian Fellow – Saturdays 11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- Shiloh Seventh Day Adventist Church – 2nd and 4th Tuesdays of the month 2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m., 2nd and 4th Wednesdays of the month 4:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- Life Learning Community Center – Tuesdays 11:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m., 3rd Saturdays of the month 9:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.
- Toco Hills Community Alliance – Regular Pantry Hours: Tuesdays – Thursdays 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. & Mobile Food Pantry Hours: Wednesday, 1/16/2019 at 2:00 p.m. and Wednesday, 1/30/2019 at 2:00 p.m.
- Stone Mountain Ecumenical Co-Op Ministry – Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays 10:00 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
- Bethel Family Church – Mondays & Saturdays 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Clarkston Community Center Food Pantry – 1st and 3d Saturdays of the month 9:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
- Kelley Chapel UMC – Mondays 4:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m., Wednesdays 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- NETworks Cooperative Ministry – Wednesdays, Fridays, Saturdays at 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
- Sunshine Community Brotherhood Foundation – Tuesdays & Thursdays 9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m., Wednesdays 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Berean Seventh-Day Adventist Church – Regular Pantry Hours: Tuesdays 5:00 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.; Wednesdays 12:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. & Mobile Food Pantry Hours: Tuesday, 1/23/2019
- Buckhead Christian Ministry – Mondays, Tuesdays, Fridays 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., Thursdays 1:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.
- Greater St. Stephen Ministries – Tuesdays 3:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m., Thursdays 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- North Fulton Community Charities – Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays 9:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., Tuesdays & Thursdays 9:00 a.m. – 7:30 p.m.
- East Point First Mallalieu UMC – 3rd Thursday of the month 9:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
- New City Church Fairburn – City Bridges Food Pantry – Tuesdays & Thursdays 2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m., Saturdays 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- SWEEAC – Mondays & Thursdays 9:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
- Family Life Ministries – Monday – Friday 9:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
- First Baptist Church of Fairburn – Tuesdays & Thursdays 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Feeding GA Families – Mondays 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m., Wednesdays 11:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Andrews Chapel United Methodist Church – Tuesdays 2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m., 1st and 3rd Thursdays of the month 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m., 2nd and 4th Saturday of the month 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Norcross Cooperative Ministry – Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m., Tuesdays 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m., Saturdays 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Lilburn Cooperative Ministry – Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- Lawrenceville Co-Op Ministry – Mondays 6:00 p.m. – 7:30 p.m., Wednesdays & Fridays 10:00 a.m. – 1:30 p.m., Saturdays 10:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
- Overcomers House, Inc. – Mondays 5:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m., Saturdays 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Southeast Gwinnett Co-Op – Mondays 3:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m., Wednesdays & Fridays 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- The Georgia Power Foundation is helping furloughed employees impacted by the government shutdown. If you and your family have been impacted by the shutdown you can ask for assistance by submitting a request to [email protected].
- SCE&G is helping federal government employees by offering assistance with electric and gas payments through their Budget Billing program. Budget Billing provides a “more predictable” bill every month. SCE&G also partners with the community for a low-income home assistance program. For more information, call (800) 251-7234.
- Harlem Globetrotters are giving away two free game tickets to the team’s 2019 Fan Powered North American tour. To receive this deal, show your government ID at your local box office.
- SkyZone is giving federal government employees affected by the shutdown and up to three immediate family members can come to Sky Zone parks Tuesday through Thursday for 60-minutes of free fly time. Learn more here.
- Rosetta Stone is giving furloughed government workers a free three-month online subscription. Email your name and validation information to [email protected].
- YMCA locations are offering free workout passes to federal workers impacted by the shutdown.
- Notarize is offering free notarizations during the government shutdown for all federal employees who sign up for an account with a .gov email address.
- Farm Burger is offering #ForloughFridays. Federal government employees get a free chicken burger, fries, and iced tea when they show their valid government IDs.
- SweetWater Brewery is offering two free beers to all furloughed employees when they show their government ID.
- Great Harvest Bread Co. is giving away free bread to furloughed employees. Visit your local location to find out more.
- Macaroni Grill is offering a free Mom’s Ricotta Meatballs and Spaghetti to furloughed government employees with valid ID.
- Potbelly Sandwich Shop is offering a BOGO sandwich deal Wednesday, Jan. 23 to Sunday, Jan. 27 to federal employees when they show a federal government ID.
We hope this list on Government Shutdown Assistance was helpful to you! If you know of any other companies offering help or relief efforts to those that have been affected by the government shutdown, please let us know in the comments section below.