Georgia Child Support

Georgia Child Support Recovery

If you have a Georgia child support order but are not receiving any payments, we can help you get child support from the non-custodial dad (also referred to as deadbeat dad situation). In this post, we will walk you through the Georgia Child Support recovery process, including the options available to you to get the GA child support payments owed.

"Georgia Child Support Recovery from deadbeat dad"

This post will cover:

  • Georgia Child Support Recovery
  • Did the non-custodial parent move out of Georgia?

Georgia Child Support Recovery

Does one of the following situations apply to you?

  • The non-custodial parent isn’t making child support payments.
  • The non-custodial parent is behind in making child support payment.

Here are the various steps you can take to recover the money that is owed.

First, you have the option to report the matter to the DCSS.

Furthermore, you can file a case with the family court. We have explained both options in details below.

Option 1 – Contact DCSS

The first option available to you is to contact the Georgia Division of Child Support Services (DCSS).

That is the state agency that is responsible for child support enforcement services. To contact the DCSS, click here. You can also see Georgia Child Support Office Locations here.

The child support enforcement unit has authority to collect overdue child support through a variety of administrative procedures without ever going to court.

If you already have a case with DCSS, contact your assigned case manager.

Also, you may be asked to provide a copy of the original child support order. If you cannot locate your original child support order, you can get a copy at the Clerk of Court’s office.

What can DCSS do to help enforce a support order?

DCSS can take a number of actions against a parent who doesn’t pay their child support including:

    • Withhold child support from a paycheck or from unemployment benefits.
    • Intercept federal and or state income tax refunds to pay child support arrears.
    • Garnish worker’s compensation benefits.
    • Suspend or revoke the driver’s, professional, or occupational license of parents who are over 60 days behind in payment.
    • File liens and levies on tangible property.
    • File contempt of court actions, which could result in a jail sentence.
    • Make compliance with child support orders a condition of parole.

Option 2 – File a Petition for Citation of Contempt

The next option available to you in the Georgia child support recovery process is to file contempt action with the court that ordered the child support payment.

If the non-paying parent is found to be in contempt of court, in addition to carrying out the original order, he/she may be subject to sanctions, such as jail time or fines, at the judge’s discretion.

Did the non-custodial parent move out of Georgia?

If the non-custodial parent moves out of the state of Georgia, the child support order can still be enforced in any other U.S. state.

If you are having trouble reaching the non-custodial parent because he/she has moved out of state, you can get help through the federal government, using the Federal Parent Locator Service.

Click here to be taken to the Federal Parent Locator Service website.

Finally, If you have any questions about how to calculate Georgia Child Support and how to locate a dad who is not paying child support (deadbeat dad), you can ask us in the comments section below.

If you found this post on the Georgia Child Support Recovery helpful, help us spread the word by sharing it using the “Share this” button below.



Get the Complete Guide of EBT Discounts for 2024! $1,000+ Worth of Savings!